Burglary & House Breaking Policy
Where as the insured has applied to the Corporation by proposal and declaration which is declared to be the basis of this contract and is deemed to be incorporated herein and has paid or agreed to pay the premium as consideration for the insurance herein after contained;
If at any time during the period of Insurance the property insured or any part thereof belonging to the insured or held by the insured in trust or on commission and whilst contained within the Premises shall be lost by Theft, but only if accompanied by actual forcible and violent breaking into or out of a building or any Damage to the premises.
Then Subject to such evidence being afforded by the Insured as shall satisfy the Corporation that the property inrespect of which a claim is made has been actually lost or damage by theft the Corporation will indemnify the insured in respect thereof by payment, reinstatement, replacement, or repair at the option of the Corporation to an amount not exceeding in respect of each or any of the several items specified in the schedule the sum or sums set in the aggregate the Total Sum Insured.
This Policy does not cover loss, destruction or damage:
- directly or indirectly occasioned by or through or in consequence of or occasioned by or happening through war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, mutiny, riots, strikes, civil commotions, military or popular rising, insurrection rebellion, revolution usurped power etc.
- directly or indirectly caused by or contributed or arising from ionising radiations or contamination by radio activity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combusion of nuclear fuel,
- directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising arising from nuclear weapons material;
- where any of the Insured%u2019s family or business staff or any person lawfully on the Premises
- If the insured without the written consent of the Corporation shall make or permit to be made any material alterations to the premises or change or relax any of the safeguards for securing the premises,
- during the progress of or following upon fire or explosion, or which can be insured against by a fire insurance policy;
- which can be insured against by a glass insurance policy, but this Exception shall not apply if the premises are used exclusively for residential purposes;
- h) to property more specifically insured under any other policy unless otherwise specifically provided herein to the contrary;
i) livestock money, cheques, travellers%u2019 cheques share certificate, bonds, promissiroy notes, tickets stamps and stamp collections, medals, business books, plans specifications etc.
j) where the premises are used exclusively for residential purposes whilst the dwelling is unoccupied for ninety days, whether consecutive or not, in any year of insurance PRIVILEGES
In respect of Premises used exclusively as a private residence the indemnity shall, subject to the Terms of this policy extend to cover loss, destruction or damage to the property insured or any part thereof:-
- contained within any domestic offices, stables, garages, and/or outbuildings forming part of the premises;
- b) in any private dwelling house, hotel, inn, club, boarding or lodging house in which the insured or any member of the insured%u2019s family at the time of the loss, destruction or damage is temporarily residing; provided that such temporary residence shall not exceed 90 days in any one year of insurance.
- temporarily contained within any other occupied private dwelling house;
- d) in the custody of a bank or safe
- This Policy with its schedule and endorsements shall be read together as one contract and any word or expression to which a specific meaning has been attached in any part shall bear the same meaning wherever it may appear.
- The due observance of the Terms of this policy by the insured insofar as they relate to anything to be done or complied with by the insured and the truth of the statements and answers in the proposal and declaration shall be conditions precedent to any liability of the Corporation to make any payment under this policy. If there shall be any misstatement in or omission of a material fact for the information supplied by the insured whether by the said proposal and declaration or otherwise, this policy shall be null and void and any premium paid there on shall be forfeited. No transfer in the interest in this policy and no waiver or alteration or change in the terms of this policy shall be valid unless made in writing and signed by an authorized Official of the Corporation.
- The Insured shall take all ordinary and reasonable precautions for the safety of the Property Insured, and shall as far as practicable make use of all locks, fastenings. The Insured shall keep complete and accurate books of account, and in relation to any merchandise, stock-in-trade or property of a similar nature, the Insured shall keep a complete and accurate record of all purchases, sales and deliveries in and out of the premises,
- Every notice or communication required to be given by the Insured.
- a) shall be in writing, or if made verbally shall be confirmed immediately in writing:
- shall be given to the Head Office or Branch of the Corporation named in the Policy or in case of necessity to any Office of the Corporation or inaccordance with any specific arrangements, which may have been indicated to the Insured.
- In the event of any happening which may give rise to a claim under this Policy, the Insured:
- shall give immediate notice in writing to the Corporation
- shall give immediate notice thereof to the Police or equivalent authority;
- shall take all practicable steps towards the discovery and punishment of any guilty person and to trace and recover any of the Insured Property which may have been stolen;
- shall as soon as possible, and in any case within fourteen days of the event at his own expense deliver to the Corporation a claim with full particulars the Property affected, the value thereof and of the loss or damage there to;
- shall furnish all such vouchers, proof, explanation and other evidence as may reasonably be required by the Corporation together with a statutory declaration if required in verification of the claim;
- shall at the expense of the Corporation give the Corporation all the assistance as they may reasonably be required with a view to the recovery of property stolen to preserve and enforce any rights the Insured may have against the policy or any other authority or against anyone in respect of any loss whether it has or has not been paid or made good by the Corporation.
If such a claim be in any respect fraudulent or any fraudulent devices be used by the Insured or any one on his behalf to obtain any benefit under this policy, all benefits hereunder and all monies paid in respect thereof shall be forfeited.
- The Corporation may at any time after the occurrence of damage to the property insured enter upon the Premises and take and keep possession the property concerned shall obstruct or prevent the Corporation from so doing, all benefit under this policy shall be forfeited. Upon payment of any claim for loss and deal with the salvage. If the insured or any one acting on behalf under this policy, the property in respect of which the payment is made shall belong to the Corporation.
- If at the time of the happening of any loss or damage covered by this policy the property insured shall be collectively of greater value than the Total sum Insured, then the Insured shall be considered as being his own insurer for the difference and shall bear a rateable proportion of the loss accordingly. When any Item of the Property insured shall be described as subject to average this clause shall apply as if a separate insurance has been granted thereon.
- If at the time of any loss or damage to any property hereby insured there shall be any other insurance effected by or on behalf of the insured covering any the proerty which is the subject of a claim hereunder, the Corporation shall not be liable for more than its ratable proportion.
- All sums which may from time to time be paid by way of indemnity under this policy in any one period of Insurance shall be accounted in diminution of Total Sum Insured. In case of any subsequent event giving rise to a claim occurring during the same period, the total amount payable during that period shall not in any case exceed the Total Sum Insured. In the event of the property lost, destroyed or damaged being replaced by other property the Corporation will at the Insured%u2019s request extend this insurance by endorsement to include such property upon payment of the appropriate pro-rata additional premium.
10. The Corporation shall not be bound to send any notice of the renewal premium becoming due. The Corporation may at any time by giving fifteen days%u2019 notice to the insured in writing by registered letter cancel this Policy as form the date of expiry of such notice. The Corporation shall on demand return to the Insured a proportionate part of the premium corresponding to the unexpired term of the policy.